Updated: Dec 5, 2020
QUESTION: What is Zoom?
ANSWER: Zoom’s website describes itself as easy to use and helps bring teams together in businesses and organizations. Their support system for zoom users who have questions consists of tutorials both video and written; as well as a “SUBMIT A REQUEST” page for those who have questions about using Zoom. The form is very straight forward in its ease use, but in order to speak with Zoom Support, you must be an Owner Owners and Administrators of Business, Education, Enterprise, or API (Application Programming Interface programmers use.) **
Disclaimer: This Zoom informational sheet is for the non-tech person who just wants to learn how to use Zoom.
That said, is Zoom easy to use? It can be, but it also can be mildly frustrating as well.
Question: Do I need to purchase a subscription to use Zoom?
Zoom is free for:
1. Participants in meetings
2. Hosts whose meetings will be 40 minutes or less.
Zoom is not free:
1. Hosts whose meetings over 40 minutes. Doing so requires purchasing a Zoom Meeting Plan
Zoom Meeting Plan Pricing: “Basic” – Free, Single Host
“Pro” - $14.99/month/per host (Up to 9 hosts)
“Business” - $19.99/month/host (Starting at 10 hosts for $199.00/mo)
“Enterprise” - $19.99/month/host (Starting at 100 hosts for $19,999/mo)
“Educational” - contact Zoom for pricing.
“Telehealth” - contact Zoom for pricing.
“Developers” - contact Zoom for pricing.
Participating in Zoom Meetings
1. First check out Zoom’s System Requirements to make sure your Electronic Device is compatible with Zoom.
On most devices, you can join computer/device audio via:
- Computer – Audio (Learn more about connecting your audio.) 2. Each meeting has a unique 9, 10, or 11-digit number called a meeting ID that will be required to join a Zoom meeting 3. If you are joining via telephone, you will need the teleconferencing number provided in the invite. 4. A WEBCAM is not necessary to join Zoom. Even without this you still will show as present by the screen name you have chosen; have the ability to listen and speak during the meeting; share your screen with others; and view the webcam videos of other participants.
1. Install Zoom app.
2. Go to zoom.us and select "Host a Meeting" to start the installation. Open your Zoom app on your desktop and click Sign In.
3. Log in using the E-mail and password that you have created, or with Google (Gmail), Facebook, or Login with SSO.
4. You will see on screen “New Meeting.” Click the downward arrow which will take you to Start with video, then click New Meeting to start an instant meeting.
Joining a Meeting.
Using Zoom for the first time can be intimidating, but take heart, it is not as difficult as you might think.
1. Log into Zoom and the below page will appear on your screen.
Here you have three choices.
1. Joining as a Zoom participant, without creating an account. You will have received an invitation to join from the Host, who will send you an invite with the name of the meeting and meeting ID.
Then log into Zoom Join Meeting and insert Meeting ID or Personal Link Name you received from Host. Then click, Join.
2. Try it out first with a Test Meeting. (Click joining a test meeting to familiarize yourself with Zoom.)
3. If you decide not to join Zoom as a participant, but want to have it set up on your computer/electronic device - download the Zoom app and Click “okay” and it will be installed.
Once in you are in the Group Meeting, click the Chat icon at the bottom of your screen and you are ready to go!
For more info:
Go to zoom.us and click “Resources.”